Friday, November 2, 2012

I Love Librarians - What's your path to the Word?

Today I am grateful for librarians, and in particular, my son's school Librarian - Winnie.

In the space of one month, my son went from doing fairly well at sounding-out and beginning reading - to *begging* so that he could read the books he brought home from the school library - and spending 40 minutes by himself digging through some pretty difficult stuff.

All because the school librarian brought in some pretty rad books (in Spanish no less) about knights and dragons and comic book style chapter books - pretty much a boy's dream (or at least mine). He no longer felt like a baby trying to read the old picture books - instead it was all about his current obsessions - superheros.

My small group is continuning to work through The Me I Want to Be by John Ortberg - and my son's passion about reading reminded me of his discussion of the various "sacred pathways" - quoting Gary's Thomas' book by the same name. For example, the naturalist finds God in nature and the intellectual finds God by learning while the activist comes alive spiritually in a great cause.

God's word has so much richness for all of us - though maybe some of us need to listen to it, while some need to read quotes from the Bible in blogs, and others of us (like me) need a Bible that cross references other historical chapters so I can get a rich sense of context. Or maybe we need a bible with lots of detailed pictures and action figures (my two sons still talk about the David and Goliath story they learned in church school - and the infamous sling shot!

The passion and knowledge is there - we just need the right librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment