Saturday, November 17, 2012

Grateful for Glenridge

Many of you know that my kids have gone to a co-op preschool. This means that the parents work shifts in the classroom - so on any given day at our school there will be two teachers and between three and five parents working. Then there's *lots* of out-of-school volunteer hours too - a family job (ours is treasurer - Jeff calls it his "other" business that he runs), auction solictations and event, and other tasks throughout the year.

It's a lot of work. And when I was first looking for preschools with Ben, and had a newborn in tow, I just didn't think I could handle it. I applied to Glenridge, but didn't pursue any other co-ops, and ended up for Ben's first year at a school with really committed teachers where I could just drop off and go.

Only it wasn't the right fit. And Ben would lash out with fists flying on his (then) baby brother every day when I would pick him up. It was only during spring break, when I realized I actually did like spending time with my little man, that I knew we needed to make a change.

Since then, Glenridge has been the nexus of our family life.  Through the school, we discovered the canyon. And found our new home. Found good friends and community. Found amazing teachers (and other parents) who teach us about our own parenting.

And more than anything, Glenridge has given us this brief window to pause, and treasure the wonder of being four years old in the beauty of a canyon.

Tonight, on our walk:
"This is socktown. This is where Jessie found a sock and it was hanging from that tree, and that's why we call it socktown!" - Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment