Wednesday, November 28, 2012

An Attitude of Gratitude

I haven't written much this week, but I've still been trying to be deliberate about gratitude out in the world.

I sent 20 overdue thank you notes to the people and businesses who donated to Glenridge's auction (thank you donors!).

I sent some notes and emails to folks who have been key connectors for me - the people who have taken the time to introduce me to the people they know - and that's how I got my new job.

I sent some emails to people who I had been thinking about for years, grateful for the encouragement they've given me in my life, and in the way of God's work, they arrived at the right time, including one note after the death of her mother.

And in the midst of this, I felt stifled on this blog!

The burden of writing each night on gratefulness seemed too much - when my mind was racing with all the other things I wanted to write about. And so, I haven't written at all.

It was a good reminder that anytime anything good becomes too dogmatic - it can lose its pure inspiration and become something we just do to go through the motions.

"For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings." (Hosea 7:6)

That said, habits are good things. Waking up in the morning and saying a quick prayer. Passing a candle at dinner and sharing a moment of gratitude. And a new one I learned when Keiko forwarded me a podcast from The Accidental Creative: spending the last ten minutes of a workday circling back to thank people, and reconnect.

Cultivating an attitude of gratitude is an amazing, life-changing thing. And I've realized that one of my gifts is encouragement - I have been truly amazed this month at how powerful an influence my little words have made in the lives of others.

And so I will continue to be grateful. And in the midst of this I will begin to follow the inspiration within to write about those topics that come upon me in the moment, and reach out to people as they come upon my heart. For I desire steadfast love not sacrifice...

And one last gratitude --- for my car, so I could whisk my youngest to the ER tonight for three more stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment