Monday, November 5, 2012

Grateful for Energy (when it comes!)

Today my son has been home sick with a bad fever, and "sore mouth". The poor guy hasn't even learned how to say sore throat yet.

We had a pretty cozy day at home, playing some games - going outside when the medicine kicked in and he had energy, and finally taking a great nap on our fuzzy gray couch.

We are pretty healthy all in all, and though I expect this cold will hang on for a few more days (and perhaps infect other family members, knock on wood!) I am grateful for our health, and having the energy to do the things I want and must do.

I've been thinking a lot about energy lately. One of the other moms was wondering who made my son's fantastic costume at the Halloween parade (thanks grandma!) - and mused that it could only be a stay-at-home mom, because who has the time?

I think the grass is always greener when you are at home or working. When I'm home, I wish I could just meet a friend or coworker for coffee or lunch in the middle of the day. When I'm working, I wish I had the time to just throw a load of laundry in, or start dinner before it got too late.

Yet I think when someone asks, "Who has the time?" they really mean - I don't have the energy. I am overwhelmed with my commitments, my life, and I couldn't imagine adding one more thing.

Because when I am feeling good, when I have the energy - nothing seems impossible!  The next time I think to myself - "I don't have the time" - I'll reevaluate. If it's something I really want to do and am passionate about I bet I can get rid of some things and make it happen. But first I need to replenish my energy stores - because with energy, all things are possible (except in my case, a homemade Halloween costume - I'll leave that to Grandma!).

No comments:

Post a Comment