Sunday, May 20, 2012

Joy in Numbers

I love this weekend in San Francisco. First I got to hang out with some new friends, and the next day some old friends. And to top it off, it was Bay to Breakers - the famous costumed footrace / parade that winds through the city each May. Despite the occasional "I wish I hadn't seen that guy naked" most people wear great costumes. I didn't even go to the race this year but as I drove through the city tonight I loved seeing all the day's stragglers in their fancy frocks, meandering their way back home.

There is something significant about sharing joy in a crowd. Sure, you could run across the city wearing a clown wig and a tutu any day - but do it with thousands of people and it becomes epic.

On Saturday night we had dinner with some new friends, and for grace before we ate their eight-year-old daughter starting singing Johnny Appleseed - and of course I joined right in. Her eyes grew huge and bright as I helped her sing the rest of the song. Here was someone she had never met before, who was singing a song that she thought may have belonged only to her or her cousins. There is power in shared experience.

That's how I feel when I enter church, or another intentional celebration like a wedding. For me faith is a deeply personal journey, but it is coming together each week with others that gives me additional insight, inspiration and joy to keep on my path.  I love singing, in particular - loud and off-key is my style. Here's one of my favorite faith songs currently - Consuming Fire - the lyrics get me every time "There must be more than this, O breath of God come breathe within".

There is a bible verse that talks about the power of getting together in Matthew 18 (19-21):  "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

The power of getting together is also why I love going to baseball games. I absolutely can not wait to belt out the song during the 7th inning stretch. Can you imagine how good it would feel to stand up with thousands of others, and sing about something more profound - like how God's grace is enough?

How do you celebrate the things important to your family in a broader community? Where do you find joy in a small group or crowd?






No comments:

Post a Comment