Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer of Bald

I just spent a blissful, unconnected week in the mountains at a family camp run by our city's park and rec department. The setting was rustic, and it was my chance to start the "summer of bald."

I knew I wasn't going to bring my wig(s) - on the trip. They don't work well in the pool, or the lake. I did bring lots of hats - it got cold at night, and big hats for lakeside. But I went bald lots too.

I got one cancer inquiry - but she said she doubted it since I looked so healthy. And it gave me the reason to talk to another woman who confided that she was suffering from extremely serious autoimmune issues, including the removal of her colon.

I got a chance to think about a lot of things over the unplugged week - including crafting some big goals and heart's desires that I am working toward.

And I realized a few important truths as well, including:

I am healthy.

I feel so good right now. I can run, I can play soccer. I can bike to the baseball game and home again and not think twice about my body.

A friend told me that there was another woman at the camp with Alopecia, but I didn't know it. She said she wore a hat all the time, so I didn't notice any bald spots.

And so, this summer, I invite all you women and men out there to the Summer of Bald. I will see you in the airports, shopping malls, and swimming pools. And I will be extremely grateful that I am healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Such an inspiration for us all to just be proud of exactly who we are and what our bodies are up to - right now! :) Megan too

    ReplyDelete