Monday, July 23, 2012

Dream Big

The past couple of months I've been working through a book that Keiko sent me called "Your Heart's Desire: Instructions for Creating the Life you Really Want" by Sonia Choquette. Like any project that takes a good amount of both perseverance and timing, I've had the book for months, and had only skimmed through it.

This summer I've gotten serious about working through the exercises in the book and have really honed in on three heart's desires. This week it looks like one of them could come to fruition.

I have a weird way of dealing with God when abundance is knocking on my door. This is the prayer chain I run in my head. "God, this would be great. Really. But if it isn't meant to be, or isn't in your plan, that's okay. God, please make this work out the way it's supposed to."

It occurred to me that in reality this is really an expression of lack of faith, and some kind of lack of confidence in my relationship with God and what God can do in my life.

Tonight I'm changing my prayer. I've decided to ask, unabashedly for what I want. "God, I want this. I know you can make it happen. Please make it happen!" I may not get it, yes, but I remember what it says in Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Asking for what I desperately want is an expression of faith. So is the initial process of discernment and meditation to figure out what I really want in the first place.

I went to a community planning meeting about building a new local recreation center (or renovating the old one). A few people cited costs that were just unrealistic in terms of the various plans we were looking at. But one of the organizers said not to limit ourselves with cost when creating our vision. She said that only projects that had master plans with a broad scope would get funded - that when funding comes that we could pursue it with the plans in place, or raise money to get the vision funded.

I will keep deepening my vision of my heart's desires AND I will ask God for what I want. One day I will relish in the abundance of those dreams coming true. And today I will relish in the abundance I've got now.

"Shout for Joy, see what Love has done, he has come for us, he's the saving one" - I love this uplifting rock song by Lincoln Brewster.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!!! Can't wait to hear the big three! Wish we were seeing you this week. :( Disneyland this fall?

    ReplyDelete