Saturday, April 14, 2012

Asking for Help to get a Breakthrough

A few days ago I spent five delirious hours with my new God-sent personal stylist, Majuan Franklin. We hit seven stores, bought a suit, heels, five shirts, one dress, one hat, six pairs of earrings, three bracelets, three rings, one pair of pants, a purse that Jeff calls a small bag, and two jackets. And despite running our blood sugar down to zero, managed to stay under budget. The great thing was that Majuan pushed me to choose some things I never would have picked otherwise, graciously made it clear I need a pedicure before wearing my new shoes, and he kept me on task. And I look great!

I know whenever I've wanted to make a major breakthrough in my life, I've needed to ask for help. And not just help in general, but specific help, from a specific person. When I finally decided to take gluten out of my diet, I called my friend Laura, who had been gluten-free for a while. I asked her to be my sponsor and she laughed, and agreed. Over the next few months I called her periodically to ask questions about the diet, where she shopped, and how to deal with dinner parties without offending the host. After I went to a women's coffee talk at church about mentors, I realized I needed some parenting mentors who were older than me. I sought out a teacher at a child development class and a mom a generation ahead of me in my small group. Now my friend Hilda is next on the list to help me redesign our loft space (my small attempt to keep chaos at bay).

I think having someone to be accountable to is important. Someone to ask about your goal, or project - how are things going? Someone to be a truth-teller when you need one (pedicure, lady!). Someone to keep you on task, even when your blood sugar is low. And of course, someone to give you expertise when you need it. This is different than unsolicited advice - there's nothing more maddening than a conversation with someone who responds to every comment with a proposed solution. It's a pact with a person.

There have been a few times though, when for me, a mentor was not enough. I'm a compulsive planner - having things planned makes it seem like I'm in control, and most of the time it works. And then one of those nights hits. I am sobbing in the garage, hating my kids, and feeling like a crappy parent. And the only way I can get out of this place of despair is breaking down and asking God for help - acknowledging that I can't do this alone. Eventually I walk back upstairs.

Today Jeff looked over at me with my new "hair", my new purse, orange jacket and hoodie, and said I looked like a different person (I think in a good way). Breakthrough! But I needed Majuan to help me get out of Loehman's with a bag full of clothes instead of just running out of the store for fresh air like I did last time.

In what area of your life do you want breakthrough? Who have you asked for help to get you there?

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog Megan it actually has me teared up !! Im happy you appreciate my personal help and look forward to working with you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I can't wait to see your new look.

    ReplyDelete