Sunday, October 7, 2012

Everythings Positive on the Internet

I had a great time at my reunion weekend, for so many reasons. One of them was a "Classes without Quizzes" taught by a professor on the subject of multi-tasking.

He ended up talking a lot about emotional intelligence, and how hard it is to practice and learn ways to express our emotions and interpret the emotions of others - and in turn, how much harder it is for our kids since they can take the easier route of texting or emailing (and hence less practice expressing and reading emotions).

One of the things that he mentioned that really struck me was that so much of what is on the internet - and on Facebook in particular - is positive emotions. Facebook's not the usual place we announce a miscarriage or divorce - who's going to "like" that? This can create a warped view for the rest of us when we think that everyone else lives such more perfect lives than us.

One of my friends Zohary has a blog Raising the Rosses and she has a bible verse that serves as her mission statement in her journey:

"And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."  - 2 Corinthians 12:9

I, too, will continue to boast about my weaknesses - for those things that plague me also keep me humble and needing God.

I have a song in my head tonight - "Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord".


No comments:

Post a Comment