Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Clear Channel to God

Lately I've been listening to a Christian radio station - KLUV I think it's called - that I stumbled upon in the car one day.  It always calms me down, reminds me to think about the big picture, and that whatever little thing I'm worried about ain't that big in the end of the day.

But more often than not recently, I can't get the KLUV station in my car. I tune up and down around the numbers, but nothing. This shouldn't be too surprising since there are so many hills in our city, but still - NPR is always there loud and strong! Sometimes I can hear it, and sometimes it is true radio silence.

I realized that's what God's voice must be like for us. I think of God as an omnipresent being who is there - but I can't always hear what God is saying - or I guess more accurately, I'm not always listening. The broadcast is out there in the radio waves, but I'm often too distracted to tune in.

We have been struggling a lot the past couple of weeks with the behavior of my older son. He's been having violent tantrums multiple times a day that have been really wearing on me. It's just exhausting to be in constant struggle. But I've been asking for help around this, and today when someone in my small group asked for a prayer request I asked for help with dealing with my son's anger.

And today was so much better.

I have no illusions that we are out of the woods, because any journey worth going on is going to take some sustained effort. But I will celebrate a day that was better than the last.


No comments:

Post a Comment