Wednesday, August 29, 2012

On Hate

Yesterday my youngest son Alex proclaimed that he hated his older brother Ben. My immediate reflex was to say "No, you don't hate your brother." "Yes, I do hate him!"he replied.

My mind was quickly scanning old parenting books and remembering that some said that you're not supposed to tell your kids how they don't feel something - even hate. I thought of our preschool guru Mame who has told us as parents not to insist that a child say they are sorry when they are fighting over a toy. "Believe me," she'll state definitively "in that moment they are definitely not feeling sorry!"

I tried again with Alex. "Sometimes you feel really really angry at Ben." "Yes!"he said "Especially when he breaks my lego and I've been working since tomorrow on building it."

I feel the hate in my heart too. Even though I don't want to. Last night I was in the dinnertime crisis and I thought "I hate this!!!" not - I'm grateful I have plenty of food to eat, and a family, and a warm house. No - I hate this. And right now I'm feeling pretty angry toward pretty much everyone in my family.

Thank God I have God. Really, I can't imagine living with myself if I didn't. The shame and self-loathing would be overwhelming. God's grace for me isn't a blank slate to do whatever I want and then ask for forgiveness. But God's grace in my world is a chance to experience that dark dark place inside myself, and know that I can move on, and try to be a better person tomorrow.

Tonight I am thinking about a song by Chris Tomlin "Your Grace is Enough"  which really inspires me when I need grace (which is pretty much every day!).

What do you do with all your dark emotions?

No comments:

Post a Comment