Saturday, September 1, 2012

Measuring Progress

My mom has a saying that she repeats often: "Progress, not perfection." This is a great mantra for us, especially as we're a family of perfectionists.

Only I can't always see the progress. We have lived in our new house three weeks, and there is dust and boxes everywhere. Even when I try to clean out a tiny corner, something else happens and that corner is filled again. I know this will take time, but it feels like I am treading water!

I had a great conversation with Mike, our family's beloved bike shop manager and all around good guy (he's at Valencia Cyclery in the kids section if you're local). He said that he moved into a new house a couple of years ago and felt the same way, and he started taking pictures. That way, if he felt sad about making no progress, he could just pull out the pictures and remind himself of how far he'd come.

Last week my acupuncturist said she thought she was seeing fewer bald areas on the top of my head. I'm not really sure to be honest - it looks about the same to me, though I am seeing lots of little gray hairs coming in where before I had smooth baldness. I thought about taking pictures of my head to get a more definitive answer on whether it is regrowing or not. But somehow I haven't made that leap. I guess I'm feeling so much growth in the other parts of my life that I don't want to focus on a 1/4 inch of hair. At least not yet.

How do you measure progress in your life? What keeps you motivated when things feel like they are standing still?

No comments:

Post a Comment