Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Integrity

As we approach father's day, I've been thinking a lot about two men in my life: my dad and my husband. Both are men who have contributed much to the world and their families - and there is one trait they share completely: integrity.

I've watched my Dad navigate many situations, and tell me about a few others, and it was clear that he always did the right thing. He never told me "this is the right thing to do" in fact, the way he saw it and presented it to me - there really was only one option. I remember before our wedding he and his wife hosted a dinner for us a couple of nights before the big day. When my Dad learned that my aunt and cousin from the other side of the family would be in town, he insisted that we invite them (and anyone else who showed up early enough to come). I was worried about budget but he insisted everyone was welcome. My Dad has always been a saver and an investor, but he has taught me that it is important to be deliberately generous with my time and my money.

My husband is also a man of deep integrity. He slogged away many years at his own company before he sold it, and there were many many years when he was ready to let go and walk away. But he stayed, and as he puts it, he didn't always do the most profitable thing for himself, but he always did the right thing for the company and his employees. He has created a culture of trust and respect between himself and his employees that is only built on his integrity.

Thank you men in my life for the care you put into doing the right thing for all those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment