Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Talking about God

The whirlwind of the past few weeks has brought me face to face with the amazing things God can do, particularly when I'm specific with my dreaming and scheming and praying. I still can't believe we have a house in the city in the woods. I was praying for a house with "more connection to the outdoors". I got it ten-fold.

The harder part is telling my friends about God's role in this whole business - without completely turning them off.

"It was divine intervention" I'll say. And they can't believe that we happened upon a house when we weren't even really looking yet - on this street, where no one's sold their house for ten years.

Or, if I'm feeling bold "God was definitely at work here to line everything up for us!"

Often friends will change the subject when they hear the G-word. Or they'll move quickly onto the details of when and how we moved.

I'm realizing that 1) it's still hard for me to talk about God (though it's getting easier and 2) often people are most open to talking about faith issues when they bring it up.

Though I have to realize as well, that if I am speaking my truth, however briefly, that it may be planting a seed in someone else's heart - that they may explore with me later, or with someone else.

How do you talk about your faith or agnosticism with your friends? How do you deal with your own discomfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment