Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thoughts for a New Year

It's been a while, dear reader.

Somehow January has flown by, and here we are in the middle of February.

I'm at the airport waiting for a plane to take me to Guatemala (without the family) to meet my dear childhood friend Nicole and a group from her church for a mission trip in Coban. I know I'll be blessed far more than anyone I meet. Traveling has always given me the perspective I need to come back and refocus on things back at home.

The funny thing is, as I thought about my focus for the year, it was the opposite of travel.

My friend Zohary introduced me to the "one word" movement on her blog,  as a way to focus for the coming year.

"Well, this year I wasn't even sure I wanted to come up with a resolution but then I came across the One Word 365 movement and I decided to try a different approach for 2013. From their site:


Forget New Year’s Resolutions. Scrap that long list of goals you won’t remember three weeks from now anyway. Choose just one word.
One word that sums up who you want to be or how you want to live. One word that you can focus on every day, all year long.
It will take intentionality and commitment, but if you let it, your word will shape you and your year. It will guide your decisions and help you grow.
Discover the big impact one word can make.
One word. 
365 days. 
A changed life"

What came to mind immediately for you when you read about one word?

What could your word be for the year?

The first thing that came into my mind when I thought of one word was "Home." Then of course I thought I'd journal about it, and maybe pick something hard and fast like "Focus" or "Faith". But there it was again. Home. 

So here I am, trying to focus a bit on Home everyday, and I'm traveling thousands of miles away, after a busy month in which our family has traveled thousands of miles apart and together.  I'm feeling a bit conflicted.

Yet I know, in all things, God is here.

1 comment:

  1. I think "home" is a great word. Both in thinking of our earthly home here with our families and our eternal home.

    ReplyDelete